Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Attorneys
Nursing Home Lawsuits in New Jersey
When parents or grandparents can no longer live on their own, we usually turn to nursing homes to help them spend their last years in comfort. We expect the nursing home will give our loved ones the type of attention and care that all people deserve in their final days. At the New Jersey law firm of Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, our nursing home abuse & neglect attorneys will aggressively handle the nursing home malpractice or abuse case for your loved one.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Negligence
After the trying process of placing your loved one in a New Jersey nursing home, how can you be sure they are receiving the type of treatment they deserve and you expect? The best way to be certain is to visit frequently, ask the nurses and attendants questions, and pay attention to what your relative has to say. Your loved one may be reluctant to talk about any abuse he or she may be suffering, so you need to know what to look for when you visit her.
During your regular visits, check for the following visible signs of nursing home abuse and neglect malpractice:
- Bedsores or pressure ulcers. Patients should be moved regularly to reduce painful bed sores. A bed sore is an indication of malpractice or abuse.
- Falls. There is absolutely no excuse for an elderly patient in a nursing home to have fallen. At-risk nursing home patients are “tagged” and are supposed to be watched and protected from falls at all times.
- Cuts. Patients should be monitored. There is, however, no excuse for unexplained cuts.
- Scars. If there are fresh scars, it means there were recent cuts.
- Broken bones. If your loved one has newly broken bones, that means they are not being properly monitored.
- Failure to monitor the whereabouts of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s and/or dementia.
If you spot any of these signs, do not hesitate to ask when, why, and how they happened. Demand to inspect your relative’s chart if you do not receive a proper answer. Ask the attending doctor, the attending nurse, or their assistant what happened. Get to the bottom of the matter, and if you think your loved one might be a victim of nursing home abuse, contact our New Jersey nursing home lawyers and we will review your case.
Nursing Home Lawyers in New Jersey
If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, contact Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman. A nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer will get back to you as soon as possible to discuss your nursing home abuse or malpractice case. Our elderly relatives deserve to spend their final days in a loving facility. Anything less is unacceptable.